FAQs - Driving Mobility


Answers to common questions…

Can I drive from my wheelchair?

It may be possible for you to drive from your wheelchair, but this will depend on your ability to cope with the driving task and your wheelchair. For further information we recommend that you contact your nearest mobility centre.

How do I make an appointment/get referred to your centre?

As each centre differs, you should find the most convenient centre for you, and contact them directly for details. Many centres will accept self referrals, however the Scotland centre requires a health professional referral.

My five year old disabled daughter is getting too heavy to lift into the car – is there any alternative way?

You may be putting yourself at risk of injury by lifting your daughter. Most mobility centres have a range of equipment to try and professional staff to offer advice. Help may range from advice on transfer techniques through to vehicles suitable for travelling with a wheelchair. Please contact your nearest centre for details.

I haven’t driven for three years – will it be like a driving test?

We should stress that this is not a driving test, it is an assessment. We are mainly considering if your medical condition affects your driving rather than checking that you are driving at driving test standards. Many people who come for an assessment have not driven for a long time, and the assessor will take into account any lack of recent experience together with the unfamiliarity with the vehicle when undertaking the assessment.

Do I need a driving licence?

To be assessed on the public highway, you do need a valid driving licence (full or provisional), however in certain circumstances it may be possible to undertake a preliminary assessment without a licence. As holding a driving licence does not necessarily mean that you have entitlement to drive, you should contact your local centre.

I’ve had a head injury, I’ve got no physical problems, do I need to be assessed?

As driving is not just about the physical control of the vehicle, but involves elements of judgements, decision making and interaction with other road users, it is strongly advisable to undergo an assessment. Please contact your most convenient centre to book an assessment. If you have not done so already, you should contact DVLA/DVANI to advise them of your injury.

My daughter has a mental health need – Can she still learn to drive?

There are certain medical standards to be met before being able to hold a valid licence. If your daughter complies with these standards, then she may be able to learn to drive. You should explore this further with the DVLA/DVLNI.

I can’t use my legs any more, can I still drive?

It is possible to drive a car using hand controls, however there are many different types, and you should refer to your local assessment centre for advice.

How much does it cost?

There is generally a charge for assessments, and prices vary from centre to centre. Contact your most convenient centre for advice.

I don’t think my father’s fit to drive – what should I do?

This is a difficult issue, if you would like to discuss it confidentially, please call your local centre for advice.

Must I tell DVLA/DVLNI about my disability?

Yes – it is the responsibility of any licence holder to notify the DVLA/DVLNI, if they have a medical condition which lasts for more than 3 months. Further information is available from www.dvla.gov.uk and www.dvlni.gov.uk.

I’ve had a stroke, can I drive?

The effects of a stroke and recovery time vary between individuals and some of the effects may not be apparent to the individual concerned. It is therefore strongly recommended that you undertake an assessment, to establish your ability to return to driving.