Understanding and using mobility equipment correctly is essential for maintaining safety both in and outside of the home.
Some specialist mobility centres offer client-centred assessments with an opportunity to see and try different types of mobility equipment to support clients with identifying what works best for them to optimise their independence.
Equipment and services available are:
- Walking aid advice, information and sale – available from some Disability Living Centres
- Wheelchair assessments and provision
- Scooter assessments and advice with some centres offering loan equipment
- Vehicle loan service for wheelchair accessible vehicles
- Bugzi loan service – to support young children with mobility difficulties to get around indoors (Bugzi is an electric wheelchair for use with younger children)
To find out what is available in your area please contact your local specialist centre for further information and advice. If the team is unable to provide the support required they may be able to advice what other services are available in the local area. Further support may be available from condition-specific charities.