Driving Mobility, the national charity that provides specialist driving and mobility assessment centres, will be exhibiting at Kidz to Adultz South to help young disabled people get mobile.
Kidz to Adultz South, Tuesday 16th May 2023, 9:30am – 4:30pm, Farnborough International Exhibition & Conference Centre (Gate F, GU14 6TQ). Free entry and parking. Driving Mobility stand – R1
The national charity Driving Mobility, coordinates a network of 20+ centres, many with outreach facilities, which provide ‘fitness to drive’ and mobility equipment assessments. Supported by The Department for Transport, Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs) and Occupational Therapists (OTs) guide and support young individuals who self-refer or are signposted from the DVLA, Motability, Police and NHS. Every member is committed to enabling people, of all ages, so they can remain independent whether driving an adapted vehicle, using assistive equipment or travelling by accessible transport.
Young disabled drivers are permitted to gain their provisional licence a year early, at 16, if they receive the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP. Driving Mobility centres help these drivers through a range of services including:
- Driving assessments to ascertain the right adapted vehicles and controls
- Complete guidance from obtaining a licence to passing a test
- Specialist adapted driving tuition – practical and theory
- Expert help with transfers and mobility equipment
For younger clients and parents, Driving Mobility centres also offer the following services, again on display at Kidz South:
- Assessment, advice and fitting of specialist car seats for children with disabilities
- Advice on paediatric powered wheelchairs