Disability Awareness Course for Driving Instructors – 9 & 10th November 2021
A practical two day training course for ADIs on disability awareness and driving. Places are limited to 10. Please book early!
A practical two-day training course for ADIs on disability awareness and driving. Places are limited to 10. Please book early!
• To give a general overview of how the body works
• To develop a greater understanding of how the body compensates when affected by health
• To discuss the principles required when working with people who have a disability
• To be aware of how health affects driving and how driving affects health
• To enhance analytical skills and problem-solving
• To explore aids, adaptations, equipment and techniques relating to driving and mobility
• To provide networking between ADIs, Mobility Centres and Driving Mobility
• To learn about how the body functions physically and mentally
• To undertake practical tasks to appreciate differences in ability
• To discuss appropriate language, legalities and ethics
• To be aware of symptoms of medical conditions which may affect driving ability
• To participate in discussions, role-playing and interactive tasks around health and driving
• To drive an adapted car with different methods of control
• To bring interested parties together to help with ongoing professional development and support those with disabilities access the community
Benefits for ADIs:
• Training opportunities provided in local area
• Networking for local ADIs
• Building a rapport between individual ADIs and their local Mobility Centre
• With agreement will be placed on a list of ADIs offering specialist tuition
• Increased confidence and knowledge when dealing with individual clients needs
• Specialist skills for driving
• Certificate of attendance
Cost: £125 per delegate which includes course materials, refreshments and lunch.
Book your ticket here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/disability-awareness-course-for-driving-instructors-tickets-165867302567
Date and time
Tue, 9 Nov 2021, 09:00 – Wed, 10 Nov 2021, 16:30 GMT
The Cheshire County Sports Club
Plas Newton Lane
For further information about the event content, please contact:
North East Drive Mobility
Tel: 0191 2875090
2019 Driving Mobility Annual Conference – delivering the National Voice of independent transportation
Charity Driving Mobility has successfully held its Annual Conference to share developments and ideas regarding accessible driving and independent mobility.
Charity Driving Mobility has successfully held its Annual Conference at The University of Chester for Professionals and Practitioners to share developments and ideas regarding accessible driving and independent mobility.
Driving Mobility accredits a nationwide network of driving assessment centres that include independent charities and NHS centres – all offering professional guidance for disabled and elderly people seeking independent travel. Service users can self-refer or are signposted via the DVLA, Motability, Police and healthcare professionals to assess ability and advise on appropriate approaches to safe driving.
The conference was attended by centre staff and managers along with board members and guest speakers representing Stakeholders and associated organisations. The agenda involved a comprehensive Driving Mobility update along with engaging presentations and panel discussions regarding accessible driving and transport as a whole.
Colin Barnett, Driving Mobility Chair, hosted the day which began with Driving Mobility Chief Executive, Edward Trewhella. His engaging AGM session was followed by a series of talks, panel discussions and interactive presentations from key stakeholders and associates including:
- Rene Claesen, President of CIECA (International Commission for Driver Testing)
- Alison Franks, Department for Transport
- John Sheridan, DVSA
- Bernie Cowper, Motability
- Sergeant Rob Heard, Older Drivers’ Forum
- John Rogers, CEO, Disability Driving Instructors
The afternoon session comprised two educational streams running simultaneously which featured the following speakers: Hana Stewart, Christine Parr, Kirsteen Longstaff, Amanda Beck, Rachel Odell, Andrew Swain, Ros Gay, Anu Varshney, Anne O’Shea, Jon Nock, Gary Jones and Paul Gambrell.
Edward Trewhella CEO comments: “Thank you to all stakeholders, associates, supporters and Driving Mobility members for their enthusiastic contributions, especially as floods, distance and unseasonal weather challenged attendance for many. The charity fully appreciates everyone’s ongoing commitment to Driving Mobility. Together we are the national voice of accessible driving and independent mobility – this conference always reaffirms our mantra.”